We Want You…To Be a Fuelie

Dec. 20, 2016 | By kgabel
BY CMDR. BRUCE BEGLEY, SC, USN OPERATIONS OFFICER, NAVSUP ENERGY OFFICE “The only time you have too much fuel is when you’re on fire.” – aviation adage, unknown author Do you have what it takes to be a Navy fuels officer? If you have a technical background, appreciate a fast-paced and high-visibility job, enjoy spending your free time climbing tall objects and crawling into enclosed spaces, and love the smell of jet fuel in the morning, you might be a perfect candidate. Navy “fuelies” are a small subset of the Operational Logistics subspecialty, with our main focus on the procurement, movement, storage, and issue of military specification fuels worldwide. Virtually all major fleets, unified combatant commands, and NAVSUP Fleet Logistics Centers (FLCs) have a fuels officer on their staff. The Defense Logistics Agency (DLA) has a dedicated field activity committed to procuring and distributing most petroleum products in the Department of Defense. Fuelies are everywhere and are a critical asset to the warfighter and the Supply Corps community. [caption id="attachment_5287" align="alignright" width="580"]
VIRIN: 161220-N-ZZ219-5287
Aerial view of Defense Fuel Support Point, at Naval Base Point Loma in San Diego, California. So, how do you become a fuelie? There are several avenues to gain your 1307 Additional Qualification Designator (AQD). One method is to apply for and be selected as a petroleum, oils and lubricants (POL) intern. The application process will occur during your first tour, and once selected, you will head to your POL internship during your first shore tour. The internships last for two years and take place in most NAVSUP FLCs and at the NAVSUP Energy Office, the naval service control point for fuels. Following the successful completion of your POL internship, you will receive your 1307S code and be sent to another POL job for your payback tour. Another method is to be selected for the 811 Petroleum Management Postgraduate Program, located at the University of Kansas. In this two-year program, you will study both business and engineering and will receive a master’s degree in Petroleum Management along with your 1307P code. Your payback job will be either as a Code 700 (fuels officer) at a NAVSUP FLC, a Fleet Fuels officer, or an action officer at DLA Energy. The final way to become a fuelie is to request a 1307S AQD following a fuels-intensive billet that isn’t coded as a 1307. The director of NAVSUP Energy is the POL community of interest lead and works hand-in-hand with the Office of Supply Corps Personnel to manage all aspects of the 1307 community. If you would like more information on becoming a fuels officer, please contact the NAVSUP Energy Office. Come join us! November/December 2016