Retired Navy Supply Corps Capt. Charles Whiteside died Jan. 10, 2014 at St. Vincent Hospital in Beaverton, Ore. He was born June 2, 1921 in Huntsville, Ala., graduated from Huntsville High School in 1939, and joined the U.S. Navy in August of that year.
On March 8, 1946 he married the love of his life and remained in loving wedlock for 63 years.
[caption id="attachment_2261" align="alignright" width="222"]
Capt. Charles Whiteside
Capt. Whiteside retired in August 1972 while at the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard after 30 years of active duty Navy service. Following enlisted service aboard the USS Stack
(DD 406), he attended the U.S. Naval Academy, graduating in June 1944 with his bachelor’s degree. Upon his commissioning to ensign, Whiteside transferred to the Supply Corps in December 1946. He earned his master's degree from the Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, Calif., in 1962. Additional duty stations included USS Baltimore
(CA 68); Naval Supply Depot, Bayonne, N.J.; Naval Shipyard, Pearl Harbor; Navy Electronics Supply Office, Great Lakes, Ill.; USS Fort Mandan
(LSD 21); Bureau of Supplies and Accounts, Washington, D.C.; Navy Forms and Publications Supply Office, Byron, Ga.; Military Assistance Advisory Group, Netherlands; Naval Construction Battalion Center, Port Hueneme, Calif.; and Navy Fleet Material Support Office, Mechanicsburg, Pa.
Following his retirement, he and his family remained in Bremerton where he worked as a vice president of the State Mutual Bank, managing its Bremerton office. He served several years in the Retired Officers Association and was very active in community affairs through the Bremerton Kiwanis Club, of which he was a past president. He and his wife moved to a retirement home in Wilsonville, Ore., in December 1999.
Services were held at Willamette National Cemetery, Portland, Ore., on Jan. 24, 2014. Two sons, one sister, and two grandchildren survive him.