By Robert J. Bianchi, Rear Admiral, Supply Corps, U.S. Navy (Ret.), Chief Executive Officer, Navy Exchange Service Command
[caption id="attachment_9178" align="alignright" width="190"]
Retired Rear Admiral Robert J. Bianchi, chief executive officer of Navy Exchange Service Command. –photo by NEXCOM Public Affairs
As a retired Supply Corps flag officer, I am honored to be the first ever civilian Chief Executive Officer of the Navy Exchange Service Command (NEXCOM). I initially came onboard in 2007 as the 27th commander of NEXCOM and following retirement, returned to NEXCOM in 2012 with a continued desire to serve. I’m also currently dual-hatted as the Special Assistant to the Assistant Secretary of Defense for Commissary Operations. Within these two roles, I am privileged to lead the effort supporting our military and their families with critical quality of life benefits.
Naval Supply Systems Command (NAVSUP) is NEXCOM’s parent command and we comprise 60% of NAVSUP’s total workforce. With a worldwide reach, NEXCOM oversees 100 Navy Exchange (NEX) facilities, 300 NEX stores, 39 Navy Lodges, the Ship’s Store Program, the Uniform Program Management Office, the Navy Clothing and Textile Research Facility and the Telecommunications Program Office.
Within NEXCOM, our personnel understand the service and duties of our nation’s military members; around half of our 14,000 NEXCOM employees are military affiliated, whether as retirees, Reservists, veterans or family members. Moreover, NEXCOM remains fully integrated with our Navy communities by giving back 100% of our earnings to the Sailor; 70% to Morale, Welfare and Recreation (MWR) programs and the remaining 30% is reinvested in capital improvements to NEX stores and facilities. Since 1946, NEXCOM has given $3.6 billion to Navy MWR quality of life programs.
NEXCOM’s programs serve as touchpoints throughout any Sailor’s career, and in particular within the supply community.
[caption id="attachment_9179" align="aligncenter" width="525"]
October, 2016: Naval Base San Diego Commanding Officer Capt. Roy Love, middle, Chief Executive Officer of Navy Exchange Service Command Robert Bianchi, far left, Navy Lodge San Diego Manager Mike Rabideau and Navy Lodge headquarters
personnel perform the ribbon cutting with the longest working Navy Lodge San Diego staff Moses Cortez, with 25 years of service. –photo by Petty Officer 2nd Class Indra Bosko
As a command, we are excited to share what NEXCOM offers and highlight the new programs and technologies we are creating to provide quality goods and services at a savings to support Navy quality of life programs.