NAVSUP FLC San Diego Celebrates 95 Years of Service to the Fleet

BY CANDICE VILLARREAL
OFFICE OF CORPORATE COMMUNICATIONS
NAVSUP FLEET LOGISTICS CENTER SAN DIEGO

NAVSUP Fleet Logistics Center (FLC) San Diego celebrated its 95th anniversary of service to the warfighter during a command event Aug. 18 in San Diego.

The event included a ceremonial cake cutting and remarks by command leadership, in addition to a large scale oath of office ceremony that brought command civilians together to raise their right hands and rededicate themselves to service.

“We get the best of both worlds at NAVSUP FLC San Diego; we get our uniformed military members and our civil servants,” said Commanding Officer Capt. Michelle Morse. “Both groups lend their talents and dedication to supporting the warfighters and keeping our military the most powerful force in the world. Every single one of our employees is serving their country when they come to work. What remarkably important, honorable jobs we have.”

The command’s rich history spans nearly a decade of service under four command names and 47 commanding officers. It began in the early 1900s, when Pacific Fleet ships routinely anchored in the San Diego harbor, making it a natural site for a supply depot. In 1922, the Naval Supply Depot, San Diego was formally established. A small pier was constructed and the first materials were moved into the Depot’s warehouse in February 1923.

In 1941, the current Navy Pier in downtown San Diego was built and a south wing was added to the original six-story supply depot. A seven-story warehouse was constructed alongside in 1943. That same year, the Depot was assigned management of the La Playa Coaling Station at Point Loma – currently the home of the NAVSUP FLC San Diego fuel department. Built in 1904, La Playa Coaling Station was the first permanent Navy logistics shore establishment in San Diego. By the late 1940s, eight more warehouses were constructed at the Broadway Naval Station Annex to support expanding material storage needs.

The significant growth in the Naval Supply Depot’s customer base resulted in its recommissioning as the Naval Supply Center (NSC) San Diego in 1959. In 1980, as a result of additional consolidation, NSC San Diego assumed responsibility for selected Naval Air Station North Island Supply Department aviation material and related functions.

In 1992, as the result of a Defense Management Review Decision initiative, NSC San Diego transferred its warehouse and physical distribution functions to the Defense Logistics Agency. Subsequent initiatives over the years also led to the transfer of financial and accounting operations to Defense Finance and Accounting Service, and data processing operations to the Defense Information Systems Agency.

Following these major changes and related infrastructure studies, the Fleet and Industrial Supply Center (FISC) concept was born. With a new mission to become logistics partners with shore and industrial activities, FISC San Diego established memorandums of agreement in the ensuing years with numerous Navy and Marine Corps commands in the southwest region.

On July 25, 2003, as part of the NAVSUP transformation initiative, FISC San Diego became the lead FISC, responsible for facilitating efficiencies and common policies and procedures across the seven FISCs around the world.

Today, NAVSUP FLC San Diego is one of eight fleet logistics centers under NAVSUP that provides operational logistics, business and support services to fleet, shore and industrial commands of the Navy, Coast Guard, Military Sealift Command, and other Joint and Allied Forces. Services include contracting, regional transportation, fuel, material management, household goods movement support, postal and consolidated mail, warehousing, global logistics and husbanding, hazardous material management, and integrated logistics support.

“It is important to remember where we’ve come from when reflecting on all this command has accomplished in the defense of our nation,” said Morse. “When we are looking at something as significant as 95 incredible years of service in support of those at the tip of the spear, I think that’s something that deserves celebration and recognition. It’s important for us as a command, but also for the individual employees and service members who come here and give us their best every day. It is an absolute privilege for me to lead such a stellar team of dedicated professionals.”

November/December 2017